Skip to main content

Do You ....

SEE WHAT I SEE? 

HEAR WHAT I HEAR?


Helen Borten's two books from Flying Eye Books pair vivid poetry with images. Do You See What I See is the visual version that attempts to introduce children to art and the visual beauty found in our everyday world. Do You Hear What I Hear, connects children with the world through sound. 


Do You See What I See takes kids through a journey using a simple premise: a line, a shape, a colour. Tackling each of these at a time, Helen Borten introduces kids to a visual play. 

"Up and down lines pull me up, up, up with them, until I feel as tall as a steeple and as taut as a stretched rubber band. I think of lofty things -- giant redwood trees, a lighthouse rising above the sea, a rocket soaring high into the sky, noble kinds in flowing robes." 

"Flat lines, side by side, make me feel calm and peaceful. 
I think of ploughed fields stretch in across the countryside." 


"Colors can be pale and timid as a mouse -- 
or dark and mysterious as the night."

Do You Hear What I Hear has a similar rhythmic play about it. 

"I hear sounds everywhere around me.
Sounds can do many different things. 
They can put me to sleep -- like a lullaby. 
Or they can wake me up -- like an alarm clock.
They can take me by surprise -- like a sneeze. 
Or they can follow me -- like an echo." 

Helen Borten's simple illustrations lend play to the words but do not distract them. The words and sounds and visual imagination continue to dominate story time, making these books powerful in helping develop young minds. 



-------------------------------------------
Do You See What I See / Do You Hear What I Hear is published by Flying Eye Books, and distributed in Canada by PGC Books

Blog post by @ShilpaRaikar (Creative and Social Media strategist, decor enthusiast and book lover, who also writes for a branding blog: thinkblink.ca/blog, as well as a lifestyle blog: sukasastyle.com T: @SukasaStyle) 


For advertising opportunities on SukasaStyle and SukasaReads, contact sukasatoronto@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kind Of People by Zoe Whittall

Zoe Whittall's book has been highly touted in the literary world. Now placed on the Giller Prize shortlist, the novel is on the wish list of many bookish fans to win the coveted title in November. But, beyond being just a literary piece, can this book that's highly controversial in its subject matter, illuminate the discussion on rape culture? 

There was so much discussion about The Best Kind Of People, and the hype inevitably caught up to me. Initially I was skeptical of the subject matter, but talk about its literary feat peaked my interest. I was in one of those book reading moods where the thought of committing to a heavy topic almost felt like an onset to depression. 

But, I'm quite glad I ignored that glass-half-empty feeling, because The Best Kind Of People is anything but that. Zoe Whittall's writing style is different. You feel like a fly on the wall taking in the events without necessarily being sucked into the drama. You don't necessarily have to take sid…

Nostalgia by M.G. Vassanji

"It's midnight and the lion is out."

This thought is persistent and insistent in Presley Smith's life. It haunts him and immobilizes his being. Is it some message from a previous life? Will this memory penetrate into his everyday existence and destroy his sanity?

Dr. Frank Sina wants to find out. Why does this phenomenon in his patient's mind begin with this single thought? A seemingly meaningless string of words that have no meaning for Presley Smith. In his sessions with Presley, Dr. Sina begins to creates a handwritten record of anything from his own or his patient's memories. He knows that whatever scraps were retrievable are probably already lost in the abyss of electromagnetic noise. 

As people leap from one life into another in an attempt to defy death, sometimes the switch is not a clean one. There is a slight chance that the past may catch up to a current life. And when those flashes of memory, slowly make their way in, they can haunt the person. Trying…

The Wolves Of Currumpaw by Wiliam Grill

A modern re-telling of Ernest Thompson Seaton's Lobo, the King of Currumpaw. Beautifully illustrated with a hint of sadness to the drawings. Set in the wilderness of New Mexico, in 1893, The Wolves Of Currumpaw is the story of a great wolf named Lobo. It recounts the hunting history of man trying to kill Lobo, but who eventually learns to respect the wolf. The storytelling is a bit complex and is something that will initiate a lot of conversation amongst the younger readers. It is also a longer book that will appeal to older readers. The story is a wonderful introduction of man's relationship with nature and includes accounts of Thompson's legacy to conservation. 
A reminder that history should never be forgotten.